Friday, October 10, 2003

Four years of change on Koh Phi Phi

I first visited Koh Phi Phi in 2000 fresh from university and enjoying my first backpacking trip. I absolutely loved my time there and everyday kept telling myself "just one more day...and then I'll move on"


When Kirsten told me her friend Jason (aka Monkey) from New Zealand would be heading to Koh Phi Phi I jumped at the chance to revisit this little piece of paradise.


The island certainly has not grown but the development on the island has increased rapidly making space a valuable commodity. My first stay had been in a lovely beach bungalow on Loh Dalum Bay. The resorts along the beach there have now been upgraded and were well outside of our budgets. Where small restaurants dotted the beach fancy upscale eateries now stand. There was even a "wet bar", a massive waterfall pool where you could sit and sip cocktails while watching the sunset. A nice concept but with one drink being twice my nightly accomodation I decided to pass.


The one thing that hasn't changed is the amazing geography of the island. Imposing limestone krast cliffs covered with vegetation rise out of turqoise waters. Other things that I am thankful that have not changed.

• No paved roads and no cars
• Delicious Mossman curries
• Amazing fiery red sunsets
• Bucket drinks made for sharing (a bucket, alcohol & mixer of choice, ice and multiple straws)



<< Koh Phi Phi | The Route | Koh Phi Phi >>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home